Any parent will tell you one of the best investments you could make as new mom (or dad) is a good rocking chair for the baby’s room. Trust me, the maternity rocking chair isn’t a ‘nice to have ‘, it’s a must-have.
When working out what all you’re going to need for baby’s big arrival, a maternity rocking chair might seem a little indulgent, even a little pompous but after the seventh night in a row without any sleep you’ll soon understand why it’s a necessity.
In the first few weeks and months of motherhood you’re going to be spending a fair amount of time with baby, whether it’s feeding him or her or lulling them back to sleep.
Doing it in your own bed at first might seem like a good idea but at some point, when you’re more mombie than mom, you’re going to appreciate the benefits of a comfortable maternity rocking chair or glider.
Wooden rocking chairs have, and always will be, a feature in a nursery, but an upholstered maternity rocking chair is a better choice in the long run, given the amount of time you’re going to be spending in it.
Gliders are also gaining popularity because of the more subtle, backward and forward movement and they look like a regular chair, which means you can still use it once your sleepless days are over.
When it comes to maternity rocking chairs there’s no such thing as ‘one size fits all’. Deciding on the right one for you will probably be one of the biggest decision you’ll make as a new mom, because believe me, your very sanity depends on this purchase.
For the purpose of this review I had the almost impossible task of choosing only one, but because maternity rocking chairs are such a personal choice I’ve decided to list three I like and review my absolute favorite.
If you’re in the market for a maternity rocking chair I suggest you check out:
- The Baby Relax The Mackenzie Microfiber Plush Nursery Rocker Chair
- The Nurseryworks Sleepytime Rocker Weave Fabric with Light Legs
- The babyletto Madison Swivel Glider
However if you’re all researched out and just want a recommendation that will suit all your needs, then you need look no further!
Baby Relax Mikayla Upholstered Swivel Gliding Recliner
Technically still a maternity rocking chair; gliders are gaining popularity because of their gentle rocking motion along with all their additional features and that they can be used as a recliner and a rocking chair.
The Baby Relax Mikayla Upholstered Swivel Gliding Recliner is one of Amazon’s best sellers with a 4.5 out 5 rating.
When choosing a maternity rocking chair there several important factors to keep in mind from comfort to durability and the materials used to make the chair.
- Comfort – the Baby Relax Mikayala is very comfortable, even compared with higher priced chairs. Reviews on Amazon make mention of the soft fabric, the plush cushion seating and the fact that it reclines. Another feature which adds to the chair’s comfort is the built-in easy-pull mechanism that props up the leg rest or reclines the chair, without you having to get up.
- Gliding function – The motion is somewhere between somewhere between gliding and rocking, and extremely smooth. There is also a rotating swivel mechanism, which means you can turn in your chair, again without having to get up and move it around.
- Seating and weight capacity – Weighing 103 lbs, this 37” x 30” x 41. 8”, the maternity rocking chair is solid and offers more than enough seating, but unlike other gliders the Baby Relax Mikayla doesn’t have pockets.
- Design – With a spring core foam filled seat, button tufting on the backrest and welt trim detailing this is an elegant maternity rocking chair. The neutral grey color is subtle and will look good in any room.
The only negatives, but definitely not deal breakers, are:
- The footrest is sticky and can be quite noisy when closing it
- It doesn’t glide when reclined
Definitely a winner!